Bengaluru had been initially conceived as a public-private partnership (PPP) in 1993, the final approval on a scheme that incorporated the expertise of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and the Indian Government-owned RITES Limited infrastructure and transport consultancy did not come until April 2006. The rationale for the metro includes reduced journey times, cutting fuel use, accident reduction and lower pollution.
A detailed project report prepared by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and RITES envisaged a 33 km (21 mi) elevated and underground rail network with 32 stations for Phase I of the project. The proposed gauge was standard gauge unlike the broad gauge on the Delhi Metro network.
Construction work for Phase I of the project was scheduled to start in 2005 but was delayed by a February 2006 change of government in Karnataka and continued debate over whether the project was financially feasible and appropriate for the city. Finally, on 25 April 2006 the Indian Cabinet approved the project, which was then budgeted at more than 5,400 crore (US$1.02 billion) (Later revised to 11,609 crore (US$2.19 billion) for Phase I). In 2006, Navayuga Engineering was awarded the contract to construct Reach 1 of the East-West corridor.
The foundation stone for the Phase I construction was laid by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on June 24, 2006, and civil construction on the line between M.G. Road and Baiyyappanahalli commenced on April 15, 2007.
The Namma Metro project was originally scheduled to be launched in March 2010. After the deadline was missed, the Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL) shifted the deadline to December 31, 2010. It was again changed to April 4, 2011 and then the date of inauguration was set at 15 September 2011. The next deadline set was 26 September 2011 which was also missed. The metro was finally opened for public on 20 October 2011 at 4pm IST by Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath.
There was an overwhelming response to the metro at the commencement of operations. As per BMRCL sources within first 3 days of operations 1,69,019 people used this mass transit system.At the end of 4th day about 2 lakhs passengers had already commuted in Namma Metro. Namma Metro's first 12-day cumulative revenue was 1 crore (US$189,000).
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 29, 2012 2:04 pm
- El reverendo Kowalewski de la iglesia Episcopal bendice la estación de la calle 23. (Foto Luis Inzunza/El Pasajero).
La congregación Episcopal de iglesia de St. John Cathedral visitó ayer la ...
Posted by Agustin Duran on April 29, 2012 9:58 am
- Pronostican que la Línea Expo será una de las más ocupadas de todo el sistema de trenes Metro. (Foto Agustín Durán/El Pasajero).
Unos viajaron al museo de Historia Natural, al Centro de ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 29, 2012 9:28 am
- Pasajeros desembarcando en la estación La Ciénega/Jefferson. (Foto José Ubaldo/El Pasajero).
El día de ayer todo salió de maravillas y los números preliminares de personas que visitaron por ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 29, 2012 8:58 am
- Fotos y texto por Anna Chen
Hasta los zombies disfrutaron de un recorrido por las nuevas instalaciones de la Línea Expo del Metro.
Los zombies de Thrill the World Los Angeles no dejaron pasar la ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 28, 2012 3:12 pm
- Hasta algunos gigantes estuvieron presentes en la estación Expo Park/USC. (Foto José Ubaldo/El Pasajero).
Un aspecto de la estación La Ciénega/Jefferson alrededor de la 1 de la tarde. ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 28, 2012 2:57 pm
- Angélica Escobar feliz de viajar en Metro rumbo al trabajo. (Foto José Ubaldo/El Pasajero).
La familia de un conductor de trenes de Metro esperan su llegada a la estación Expo/Western para ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 28, 2012 2:34 pm
- Hunter, la mascota del Museo de Historia Natural. (Todas las fotos de Gary Leonard/El Pasajero).
El tren inaugural rompe el "listón/bandera" que marco la apertura de la Línea ...
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 27, 2012 5:53 pm
Posted by Jose Ubaldo on April 27, 2012 5:37 pm
- Haga clic aquí para ver vídeo
¿Usted ha deseado hacer un recorrido por los monumentos históricos de
Los Ángeles en su vestuario más elegante? (¿Así como Stan Dapper,
en el video de arriba?) ...
Posted by Maria Luisa Arredondo on April 27, 2012 3:27 pm
- Momento culminante de la inauguración de la Línea Expo. Foto: Steve Hymon.
Por Steve Hymon
Hoy por la tarde se llevó a cabo una ceremonia en Exposition Park para inaugurar oficialmente la ...
- Firefly Bistro
- Get 10% Off At Firefly Bistro
- Edible Arrangements® and Frutation
- Go Metro and save 10% on Frutation Products and $5 off any Edible Arrangement
- Billy Elliot The Musical, April 11 – May 13
- Go Metro and Save $15 on Select Tickets
- $25 off Sports, Concert and Theater Tickets
- Get Fit with Witt!
- Receive 50% off of two one-hour sessions
- Vintage Encino
- go Metro, take a tour and lunch is on us
- Santa Monica Festival, May 19
- Go Metro and Win a Free Bicycle
- My Dream Closet Boutique
- Go Metro and Save 10% on Purchase
View More Discounts
- Vintage Westwood Horizons
- go Metro, take a tour and lunch is on us