Delhi Metro is committed to provide the highest standards in safety to each passenger. With this in view, all design and operations are done with a safety margin.
- Escalators have been equipped with several safety devices to ensure safety of passengers that include protection against over speeding, detection of missing step etc. To reduce fire risk and improve safety a tray to collect human hair, dust, water, oil etc. has been provided.
- In addition, there is a unique sari guard feature that deflects loose clothing (e.g. sari of ladies) from getting trapped in the escalator.
- There are Emergency Stop Switches Prominently Displayed at 3 locations - Bottom, Top and Centre.
- Coaches have been designed for maximum comfort and safety.
- Automatic door opening and closing mechanism and the train cannot move unless all doors are closed and locked. If a door opens accidentally in the moving train, brakes will apply automatically, bringing the train to a halt.
- Reduced fire risk due to special design features and materials.
- Emergency evacuation facility through emergency front door.
- Facility for passengers to talk to driver in Emergency.
- Provision for Emergency announcements in the train by driver and Operation Control Centre.
- Communication between Operation Control Centre and driver.
- Emergency illumination and ventilation in case of power supply failure.
- Do stand in queue.
- Do limit your baggage to 15 Kgs, not exceeding 60 cm (Length) X 45 cm (Breadth) X 25 cm ( Height) in size.
- Do use the dustbins.
- Do stand on the left side of the escalators and while moving keep to the right.
- Do move away from escalators immediately after use.
- Do make way for the physically challenged.
- Do remember that the train stops for 30 seconds only.
- Do show your tickets to Metro personnel, when asked to.
- Do consider the comfort of your fellow passengers.
- Do abstain from drunken and unruly behaviour.
- Do take care of your valuables.
- Do contact Metro Police for assistance.
- Do contact female security personnel in case of any problem ( for lady passengers)
- Don’t bring eatables inside the station premises.
- Don’t bring pets inside.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t carry firearms.
- Don’t travel without your smart card or token.
- Don’t jump over the ticket barrier.
- Don’t share your card or token with another person on the same journey.
- Don’t cross the yellow line on the platform.
- Don’t step onto the Metro tracks.
- Don’t travel on the roof of the train.
- Don’t try to force the doors open.
- Don’t deface or put up posters inside the Metro station or train.
- Don’t step on the Tactiles meant for the visually impaired.
- Don’t use the lift, it is meant for the physically challenged.
Offences and Penalties
- The Metro Railways (Construction of Works) Act.
- The Delhi Metro Railways (Operation and Maintenance) Act, 2002.
- Drunken behaviour, vandalism, indecency, use of offensive & abusive language is punishable by a fine of Rs. 500/-.
- Carrying dangerous & offensive material on Metro Rail is punishable with imprisonment extending up to 4 years and a fine of up to Rs. 5000/-.
- Putting up posters without lawful authority or defacing the Metro premises or trains will invite penalties, which may extend up to 6 months imprisonment and /or a fine up to Rs.1000/-.
- Travelling on the roof or any other part of the train, not intended for the use of the passengers, will result in a fine of Rs. 50/-or imprisonment of 1 month or both.
- Walking on Metro tracks without lawful authority will be punishable by imprisonment up to 6 months or a fine of up to Rs. 500/- or both.
- Willfully obstructing any Metro official in discharging his or her duties will result in punishment with imprisonment up to 1 year or fine up to Rs.1000/- or both.
- Improper use of official communication equipment will be punishable by imprisonment up to 1 year or fine up to Rs.1000/- or both.
- Damaging Metro boards or documents shall be punishable with imprisonment up to 2 months and/or penalty of Rs.250/-.
- Unauthorised sale of tickets shall be punishable with a sentence of upto 3 months and/or fine up to Rs. 500/-.
- If any person throws an object with intent to damage any part of the train or its passengers, he/she will be punished with a life sentence or rigorous imprisonment extending up to 10 years.
- Damage to any property or causing fire hazards or explosions will result in imprisonment extending up to 10 years.
- Tampering with any safety device and endangering the safety of passengers or obstructing trains will result in imprisonment, extending up to 7 years.
- Any Unauthorised sale of articles at Metro Railway premises shall be punishable with a fine of up to Rs. 500/- or imprisonment up to 6 months.
- Ticket-less travel will result in a fine of Rs. 50/-.